Primary Qualifications for Being a Surrogate
Awareness of the requirements for being a surrogate is highly important. Being a gestational surrogate is about the most rewarding and enriching experience a woman can have. This is mainly because of the fact that you create a hugely positive change in the lives of people who otherwise have no real hope of having a child. It’s a blessing to have the potential to improve the life of someone in this significant way.
Precisely What are Intended Parents Searching for in a Surrogate?
- Previous Birth: One of the most important requirements for being a surrogate is that the individual must have given birth previously. This provides proof that the surrogate can sustain a pregnancy.
- Health: Surrogates must be healthy. You cannot have a history of pregnancy-related health concerns. This includes gestational diabetes, premature births, ectopic pregnancies, or miscarriages. The potential surrogate must undergo medical checkups to obtain a clean bill of health before proceeding. The background of the candidate is also reviewed to check for a history of cancer, birth complications, or learning disorders.
- Age: Truth be told, there are no strict rules about this; the rules depend on the individual as well as other circumstances. The perfect age for a surrogate is 21 to 40. An applicant who’s above 37 years old would need to have given birth within the past two years and would require consent from her primary care provider.
There are certain requirements for being a surrogate. The potential surrogate will need to undergo a background check to eliminate the possibility of police records. The surrogate will also get her driving records reviewed. An attorney will draw out a surrogacy contract that covers the financial and medical requirements, as well as the ways in which any issues arising from the pregnancy and delivery of the child will be handled.
It would not be right to expect that a lifelong relationship will exist between the intended parents and the surrogate. In many cases, the intended parents don’t know much about the surrogate.
Other qualifications for being a surrogate include:
- Not being on any kind of government welfare and being stable financially
- Being married and having a stable relationship
- Having a stable living situation
- Consenting to a psychological assessment and disclosing all medical history
- Being willing to get blood work done from time to time
- Consenting to the administration of IVF medications
- Not having had tattoos or piercings done within the last half year
- Having a highly effective support system that includes friends and family who are supportive of the decision to become a surrogate
- Refraining from abuse of alcohol, recreational drugs, or mood altering substances for the next one to three years
Why Choosing an Agency is a Very Good Idea
Once you decide to be a surrogate, you’ll be taking a long and complicated journey. It certainly is a good idea to go through a company. Obviously, you must choose a well-established agency to ensure a safe and enjoyable surrogacy experience. An excellent surrogacy company will present you with all the guidance and support you will require at any point of your journey. Surrogacy is not a simple process. It calls for significant amounts of legal and medical formalities, and you may start to feel lost and frustrated if you try to do it on your own. When you are with an agency, a dedicated team reviews every single detail of your surrogacy. This includes everything from matching to screening, legal to social work support. The agency will supply you with whatever guidance you need.
Essentially, the surrogate agency provides a support system for both the intended parents and surrogate mom and can create a line of communication between the involved parties. You will have someone on hand to eliminate just about any conflict that arises, ensuring that your experience as a surrogate mother will be hassle-free and satisfying. We assume that this article has clearly defined the essential requirements for being a surrogate for you